Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sewing down binding by machine; imagine that!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I typically stitch my bindings by hand. It isn't something I mind doing, hand sewing can be kind of soothing. However it is time consuming. The clock was ticking on getting Abby's quilt to her by her birthday, so I followed a process that my friend Catie told me about.

Now keep in mind, I've tried the technique before. And the flip side of the quilt looked grotesque with a wavy stitching line. But this time I used my blindstitch foot.  But, I'm getting ahead of myself (imagine that!)

The technique I follow for attaching the binding itself is Susan K Cleveland's and you can read Piping Hot Binding book for details and you can watch her on You Tube. After all, who am I to quibble with a woman who's favorite part of the quilt making process is sewing the binding!

Here's the part that was new to me...using my blindstitch foot. It's meant for sewing hems, but it did a great job on the binding and kept me stitching straight at the same time!

I pressed the binding fabric in half, wrong sides together. Then I wrapped the fabric around to the front. Now it's time to stitch using the blindstitch foot. All I had to do was keep the bar next to the fold and stitch. It gave me a great look on the front as well as the back. If you haven't tried this before, give it a shot on a small sample project and see what you think. Hope this post will help someone else and please join me in shouting "Thanks, Catie!".


                        

No comments:

Post a Comment