Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Peer Pressure

I've been following everyone's preparations for QuiltCon on Instagram. It's getting me  psyched for the show! People are sharing photos of things they're making for the event. Everything from tote bags to dresses to lanyards.

While I did think about making a tote bag (hey, I even went so far as to buy a zipper!), I decided to make a lanyard for myself and my travel and quilting friend Kathy F. She's been keeping me supplied in selvages and since she's so into Kaffe Fassette, I pulled out all of the selvages from his fabric for Kathy's lanyard.

Okay, so now that the fabric selection is taken care of, I have to find a pattern. So I Googled "fabric lanyard" and lo and behold there was a link to a pattern Anne Marie Chaney has posted on her genXquilters site. Looks easy peasy. Picked up the hardware for both lanyards at a big box store for $1.87 and I already have the plastic holder for our QuiltCon IDs so I'm ready to go.

Because I'm using scraps, first step was to sew the strips together to about a length of 45". Since my scraps are narrow, I sewed two long strips together.


 Fold in half and press and then fold in the raw edges and press (Ann Marie has this all explained very nicely on her site) then stitch.


Next I simply folded the raw edge up  and stitched to keep in place. I made my lanyard first and learned that because I pieced my strips, I have extra bulk. I put in a heavy duty needle and I took it slow and I'm happy to say my needle didn't break! Now add the hardware and fold up again and stitch.
 

Voila! A fabric lanyard!



Now I'm officially ready for QuiltCon!



No comments:

Post a Comment