Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Quest Continues

This year I am going to continue on my journey to improve the precision of my sewing. And it is a journey; not just a short trip. I'm showing progress so I know I am trainable (just ask my dogs; they got me whipped into shape in no time!), but I need to keep working at it. As Mad Eye Moody said in the Harry Potter books: 'be constantly vigilant'. 

There are the very apparent tips like keep the blades in the rotary cutters sharp and use Machingers by Quilters Touch when working on a larger piece (really helped reduce the tension in my arms and shoulders). Oh, and here's one of my favorites: if I make a mistake, fix it. Chances are if I think no one will notice I'll be in the home stretch when I realize that that decision was so very wrong. And (speaking from experience), then I get very discouraged and sometimes don't want to finish the piece.

I've invested several tools too. This post is about a few things I've picked up along the way that have worked for me...

1. Listen to Susan S. Cleveland. Her website is Pieces be With You. She is an engineer turned quilter and precision is her thing. Take one look at the name of one of her books to see this is true. It's a great reference book that every quilter should own.




One of the things I found very interesting is what she wrote about regarding the feed dogs and presser foot. On most machines, when the presser foot is down, you don't get the entire use of the feed dogs which, may I remind you, are there to move the fabric under the needle. The center position is the one she uses the least on her machines (interesting, don't you think?).





2. "Scant Quarter Inch". Does this mean a smidge under .25"? Or just a 'thread or two under a quarter inch'. Here's what Susan has to say about it: When seam allowances are pressed to one side, one fabric folds back on itself and up over the thread. The amount of fabric taken up in the fold is the "turn of the cloth". If strips are cut perfectly, then a perfect 1/4" seam allowance would yield a result too small because some fabric is taken up in the turn of the cloth. So the seam allowance must be a scant 1/4"."

So what I did was get  the Prep-Tool by Guidelines 4 Quilting. It has a guide that I placed under my presser foot and then there is a reusable adhesive seam guide that attached to my machine. Then removed the plastic guide and I was good to go. I have only had it a couple days, but so far so good.



My favorite tool is my TrueCut ruler and rotary cutter by The Grace Company


The ruler has a couple helpful features: every inch, there is a vertical opening in the ruler that lets me line up with my cutting mat and/or fabric design to keep the ruler straight.  There is also a lip on either side. This raised part of the ruler allows the TruCut rotary cutter to hook onto it. Now every time I cut, it's a true straight line. No more veering over to the right or left. And this keeps the ruler from slipping because my entire focus is on pressing down on the blade rather than over to the edge of the ruler.




As I continue on my journey I'll pick up more tips along the way. I'm sure there are other travelers on this road, so I'll be sure to share what I learn from them as well!

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion and experience quilting is really complicated and requires a lot of will power and perseverance. I really admire you for your striving to continue your sewing journey!

    ReplyDelete