Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Friend the Walking Foot

In my quest to improve the precision of my sewing, the walking foot has become a BFF. Some manufacturers make the walking foot the standard. Very wise. 

Bernina does not. I wouldn't trade my Bernina for anything, so don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I have a 440 QE and I'm happy to say that it comes with a walking foot. 

There is a problem I was having that the foot fixes; here is a visual (it makes me cringe to look at it): 


I would cut carefully. I would pin. I would sew slowly and still get the problem you see above. That is a good 1/4+"...enough to make a huge difference when you want your pieces to fit.

Then I tried my walking foot. Eureka! It helped:


It has to do with the speed that the feeddogs move the fabric along. The walking foot ensures that the top fabric moves at the same speed. Now I get a nice even seam. if you haven't broken out your walking foot, give it a try and I'll bet you never look back!

1 comment:

  1. Are yiu just piecing two layers here? If so, You might check the pressure knob for an adjustment when using the regular feet. I have the same machine and it is adjustable according to the fabric going thru it. I set it at a higher number for piecing, appliqué, zig zag and a lower number for quilting. It is a rolling knob on the forward end of your machine. Check you machine book also.

    ReplyDelete