Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Report: Collaborative Quilting

I am a color junkie. There I said it. Color energizes me and keeps me alert and upbeat. I'm not the only one. I had a manager who always wore a red suit when she was scheduled for a big meeting. The color gave her self confidence and strength. It wasn't until years later that I really understood the fabulous side effects of color.  Here's the book that gave me my "ah ha!" moment: Collaborative Quilting by Freddy Moran & Gwen Marston.


Their love of color is so evident in this book. Besides, look at Freddy's studio (what's not to love!):


In this book, Freddy and Gwen encourage experimentation with color and design by pushing the envelope. The book shows standard blocks with new appeal and interest in a large part due to their open mindedness and love of color.

Here are some of their Color and Design Guidelines:
1. Find your personal neutral (Freddy's is red!)
2. Ten colors don't work - 100 do
3. Don't lose sight of the joy
4. What others think about your art is of no importance
5. It's not how similar you are, it's how different you are that makes you stand out from others
6. Your chances of making a remarkable good quilt are increased when you take chances.
7. Quilts with energy and surprise are more likely to delight the viewer
8. Most important of all - make it

The book is full of inspiration and the quilts that Freddy and Gwen have made. In the back, there are "Quilt Recipes" that show how they designed each block:


 If you love color like I do, this book is a must. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. It's been in my sewing room for a long time but need to get it out again. Great fun....especially on a snowy winter day .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! All of that color on a snowy day will fill you with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete