Thursday, January 16, 2014

Decorative Stitching Beware!



With every piece I do, I learn something. Some good. Some not so good. Here I go baring my sole...

Last weekend I worked very diligently on my wall hanging. Step 2 was to add decorative stitching. And in case you didn't know; decorative stitching  is super fun.

Here are some of the things I learned:
When planning the design, be careful about sharp curves. In this example I thought they would give some interest, but in reality they were more difficult to maneuver around. Not impossible, but slightly precarious.



Geometrics - - love them! However I learned, if it has a relatively short repeat, a straighter line works better than a curvier one.

 All week I've been pondering whether or not I'm going to rip this out ( which would be no small task, may I say). Since I'll be looking at this 5 days a week about 10 hours a day, I think it might aggravate the crap out of me (at least my obsessive compulsive side). And quite honestly this hiccup is why I haven't added to the piece at all this week. I'm stalled because I'm afraid of making the wrong decision. (That's part of the 'sole baring' part of this post.)


Another thing to keep in mind are the colors. I think I did a pretty good job distributing the lighter and darker colors. A color wheel comes in handy. Certain combinations can really give a piece some punch.  Blue and orange are currently my favorite color pairing. (The term 'complimentary colors' is so appropriate isn't it?)



Below is my project thus far (sorry about the colors again; I need a bright sunshiny day to get a better photo).


The next step on this is the hand embroidery which is also very fun. I'll take my time with this process because it's so enjoyable that I don't want it to end!



No comments:

Post a Comment