Thursday, March 20, 2014

Make it So

I've been commissioned to make two more necktie pillows! As I've mentioned before, I learned the hard way that paper piecing is the right way to go. Undoubtedly I'll be working with small pieces of silk and polyester; both cut on the bias so the stability paper piecing provides is important.

Mrs. S who would like the pillows for her two sons, had a photo of a family quilt that she admired. It's made up of several blocks, but the traditional bow tie block was the one that Mrs. S really admired.

So I powered up EQ and came up with some samples. These would be 14" square pillows:




Initially Mrs. S. liked #3 best, but ended up selecting #2. I think it's a great choice too.  

My next step is to make a sample. Remember it's important that I can paper piece the design. Here's what EQ gave me:

 

If you're initial thought was Eeeeeeeeeek! That's pretty much what I said too. But, I thought I'd give it the ol' college try.  Since the pattern doesn't really lend itself to paper piecing, I stabilized the fabric and cut out enough to try one 1/4 of the block.


 The end result wasn't pretty. So much so that this is all I'm willing to share: 




 So what to do? Luckily, my friend Kathy F. invited me over to practice EQ, so I was able to take my project with me. With Kathy and friend Betsy's help, we increased the block size to 6" (rather than 3") and added two lines. I think you'll agree that we came up with a much better alternative solution.


I ended up with a better pattern and ultimately the end result will be better as well. Here's an idea of the finished block:


How will it actually stitch out with a variety of neckties to work with? I'll have to wait and find out, but at least I have a game plan that will provide a great result.







 

1 comment: