Thursday, September 4, 2014

Seminole Patchwork

I thought one of my North Market blocks should have a special look and I wanted it to be asymmetrical. Then a little lightbulb started to glow and I remembered a book I've had for years and never used. It's called Basic Seminole Patchwork by Cheryl Greider Bradkin.


It's nicely set out and very clear. Starts with easy designs and then gets more complex. At the beginning it even gives tips on how to sew thin strips together and all the while keeping them straight. (As you'll see below, I chose not to heed her advice.)


I cut the strips of various colors to the sizes the book suggests for a given design.


Then stitch them together carefully.


They're sewn together in a given order and then cut into strips.


Below is my completed block. As I mentioned, I didn't follow the advice so some of the tiny squares aren't aligned perfectly. If this was a gift; I would have done it over. Also, I had issues with the top section. I'm still not sure what I did wrong, but by using a little ingenuity, I added a strip at the top to give me the length I needed at the top.


I'm very happy with the result. I think it gives this block the special je ne sais quoi that it deserves!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great to me! Perfection in quilting is a major buzz-kill!

    ReplyDelete