Wednesday, August 7, 2013

English Paper Piecing...Seriously??

So I had this great idea...I enjoy hand sewing so why not have a project that I can keep in my handbag to work on when time permits. I like the idea.

But what fits the bill? Beading is fun, but it's a pain if you drop them...which does tend to happen. So that's out. I enjoy hand embroidery, but the piece I want to work on is a bit big to carry with me. Oh! But what about that gorgeous pillow I saw in Modern Patchwork magazine. It was designed by Joanna Wilczynska. I'd love to have that pillow.

But, it's English Paper Piecing. I've tried it before in a block of the month quilt. It wasn't too bad. The thing is that you cut out each of the little shapes in card stock and the fabric a little bigger. Then fold the fabric over and stitch it down by hand. Then press it really well and sew the pieces together.  Voila! I know I can do that.

So I went onto quiltingdaily.com to download the pattern pieces:


A few things you may not be able to tell from the photo...the edges of the triangles are about 1 inch long. O-N-E which equates to very small. Then there's the number of pieces: 23 hexagons, 138 squares, and (get this)170 triangles. Itsy bitsy triangles.

But the amount that I want this pillow outweighs the fear of these little pieces. So, I ask myself, are there any shortcuts? Yes there are I find out. There is a paper you can run through your printer to print the pattern pieces. Also, you can leave it in your work as a stabilizer. Woo hoo! And, I find out, you can use spray adhesive. Sounds pretty easy and a lot faster than stitching each side down by hand. But rather than spray; I use a glue stick. Which didn't. Stick that is. I had more glue on my fingers than the fabric.

But even after the itsy bitsy sticky obstacles, I am going to persevere. I have great fabric and I really want that pillow. So wish me well as I travel the English paper piecing path.  I'll report back on my progress because I really want that pillow.


 

2 comments: