Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunday's Super Tip - Starching Makes a Difference

I have issues when I sew. Don't worry; I'm not going to burden you with a laundry list but there is one that I in particular that I do want to share.  When I cut out pieces especially if there's a bias edge, I get a wavy edge that drives me nuts. You'll see it in the example below

Yes, I know there is more than one problem with these blocks, but humor me and pretend it's just that wavy edge. It was enough to make me want to throw up my hands and walk away.

Then my friend Kathy sent me a demo on starching. It's on Alyssa Lichner's Pile O' Fabric site, which is an awesome web site and blog, I must say. Here's the link to the "Starching your Fabric" tutorial. Her technique is great and it's made such a difference for me. The fabric has a great hand and is much easier to work with. Now I can hold my head high and say 'have starch; will conquer'!

Hope you like this idea. Any tip that makes it easier to complete a project is a tip worth sharing!

2 comments:

  1. Nuttin like a good stiff piece of FABRIC!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! There's wonky and then there's weird, warped, & wonky!

    ReplyDelete