Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Report - 100 Modern Quilt Blocks

Tula Pink's latest book is called Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks.
 

The page below is a sample from the book. All of the blocks in the book are 6 1/2" squares.  You can see on the left is the quilt block and on the right is a sketch of how to assemble it. At the end of the book, Tula has great photos of sampler quilts using all 100 blocks.  This is a very well thought out book and easy to use. 


I heard Tula interviewed on Pat Sloan's weekly podcast (listen to the June 3, 2013 broadcast).  She really wants this to be an interactive book.  She left room at the top for you to name the block and make it your own. You see the scribbles that I made? I wanted to double the size of my block because I'd like to make a pillow top using a single block so I was able to make my notes right on the page. As Tula states in the Introduction, "In a perfect world, everyone's book would end up looking like a journal, coffee stains and all." It's a book to be used; just like our quilts.

Below is my block. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. This book would be a great addition for any quilter's library.

No comments:

Post a Comment