Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sunday's Super Tip - Labeling

Long, long ago in 2011, I found a quilt in the International Quilt Festival Quilt Scene magazine that I thought would be perfect for our bedroom. It was designed by the talented Ashley Newcomb for Robert Kaufman Fabrics. It's slightly wonky. It's got clean lines. It's perfect.

 
I decided to make it in aqua, green apple, and grey. I did the math to convert it from 68"x 81" to king size. I cut 94 rectangles and 190 strips of sashing. I was proud because I was well on my way to get this puppy done.
 


Fast forward one two years...it's not done. For some reason, if I'm not making a quilt for someone else where a deadline looms, I have issues getting stuff done for myself. Yeah, I work on it off and on, but unfortunately more 'off' than 'on'. So this is what I do to save me from sorting through all of the pieces and trying to remember what still needs cut and what doesn't (this is the Super Sunday Tip part): I label everything.


Nothing fancy; I just write on printer paper ripped into strips and wrapped around the blocks, but it works. Baggies are another option, but because of the length of my blocks I don't have to fold anything so there's no re-pressing involved. I can put everything away when another project captures my attention and then pull it out and pick up right where I left off without resorting through the blocks.

Hope you like the idea. Any tip that makes it easier to complete a project is a tip worth sharing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment