Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fun, fun, fun at the NQA Show

 The National Quilting Association's annual show is in Columbus so since it's in my backyard, I'm lucky enough to get to attend without much travel. There are several reasons why the show is fun.

For one thing, I volunteer to help hang the quilts. I get to see them up close and personal (even if it is from five feet off the ground on a step ladder!) and meet other quilters from around the country.  This year I worked with women from Iowa and Idaho. The quality of the quilts this year was fabulous. It's hard to tell why one piece wins over another (Ricky Tims' quilt received an Honorable Mention); sure am glad I'm not a judge.

The show also has classes you can attend as well as free lectures.  Some classes are technique based and others are hands-on at a sewing machine. This year I was in Heather Thomas' Quick Design Essentials class. I'll write another post just on the class, but for now let me just say it was excellent. Last year I took Susan Cleveland's Piping Hot Curves class which was great too.

Then the show always has vendors' booths. I like to see if there is a tool that I haven't seen before and can't live without. There's always a great selection of fabrics and notions as well. (First time I've seen Three Stooges fabric!) It's a great way to add  some interest to your stash. Among other fabrics, I was able to nab a fat quarter selection of Brigitte Heitland's Comma fabric line, and the cute fabric you'll see below which is white with blue sparkle-y crowns.


 And, I got a couple pieces of fabric designed by Yoshiko Jinzenji. I have a feeling these will be the fabrics in my stash that I just can't bring myself to cut.
 
 
 
I got these at the Fiber Art's Fabric booth. I went online to see what else they have and found a really nice selection of fabrics. You might want to check  out their website Fiber Art Fabric.
 
Last but by no means least, I found a nice selection of specialty threads and yarns. Several months ago I learned how difficult they can be to find, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to stock up.
 
 
 
 
 
Now comes the fun part...figure out what to do with all of my new goodies!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment