Thursday, April 24, 2014

Quilt Prep

I have the first baby quilt all pieced. Woo hoo! I've watched Elizabeth Hartman talk about putting the quilt sandwich together. So, since this quilt is small, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I measured the quilt top (36"x36") and added two inches on each side. So I cut the batting 38"x38". The cute fabric I bought for the quilt back wasn't quite wide enough, so I had the opportunity to put a couple strips down the back (which made me happy; love that look!). Now I cut the back 40"x40".
 
I pressed everything including the batting so that it was very smooth. Next I put the backing down wrong side up and used painters tape to keep it stable. I like 505 spray adhesive  so I gave the backing a quick spray then put down the batting.

Elizabeth rolls the batting and lays it down two inches from the bottom and sides. Then it's carefully unrolled.


 Now another quick spray of 505 and lay down the rolled up quilt top.


 Here's the end result which was very nice to work with.

 

Jacquie Gehring suggests the quilt sandwich be pressed. This does make the adhesive more permanent. Now I'm happy to say that I was able to quilt the top and didn't have one of those darned wrinkles stitched into the back which I'm so used to seeing. If you don't use this method, you might want to give it a try; it makes for a neat and tidy quilt top which is great as I move forward with my work on precision. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment