Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Abby's Quilt Chapter 1

With a master's degree in Photography, my friend Abby is moving from Central Ohio to Vancouver. She is about to begin a very exciting time in her life and I'm very happy for her.  For those who are visual, she's moving from Point A to Point B (for those of us who miss her, I'll just say it seems much further).

 
Before she left, Abby asked me if I'd make her a quilt. Needless to say I was thrilled and said absolutely. I sent her some ideas for the queen size quilt; they were all modern since I was fairly certain that would be her preference.  She picked an easy design that I knew I could handle. Now onto fabric...
 
Along with Abby, her mom, and aunt we hit a couple of my favorite quilt shops; Sew to Speak and Quilt Trends. Abby decided she wanted to go with a greyish blue color scheme.  We bought a piece of one of the new modern solids - the ones where two threads are combined to give an cool effect to the fabric. She also picked out a nice batik for the sashing. That gave me a good starting point for the whole quilt.  A couple weeks later I went to Quilt Beginnings where I found a nice selection of the fabrics and I was able to get everything I needed. Here's what I ended up with:
 

I think Abby will like these. All in the same hue and tone.

Then I cut out the pieces and started to sew...

And sew (love that chain piecing technique; don't you?)...


Then I clipped the chains apart (kind of makes me understand why when I started to quilt my dad said 'you mean you cut the material into pieces and then sew it back together again?')...


Finally I added the sashing and  voila! the top was pieced. It's shown here in black and white in case Abby reads this post!
 

Now I need to think about the back...I'll save that for Chapter 2 in the tale of Abby's quilt! (That should buy me some time to figure it out!)


1 comment: