Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Quilt Label

I'm not the best when it comes to putting a label on my quilts. But this one for Abby is going to be different.  I've always enjoyed drawing letters in different ways; big, bold, lower case, upper case; everything. My friend Ellen and I used to do it all the time when we were in junior high, so I guess that's how I got my start. 

So now that it's time to make a label for Abby's quilt, I started to doodle. Then I had the brainstorm that I wanted to put her initials in a monogram format... you know, the last initial is larger and over the first and middle initials.


Okay, I have the idea but how to implement it is the question. I'm pretty good at machine applique if I say so myself so that's probably how I'll go. Ohhh, then I had an idea...what about reverse applique? I showed samples to hubby and he liked the reverse applique better. He thought the letters stood out better.

 


So a sewing I go!



Now, since the front of the quilt made of rectangles, I wanted a circle shape for the label itself.



Now I think I should kick myself. I couldn't wait to use a new ruler I got to cut circles so I went ahead and cut it out...but I didn't machine applique a message on it and that was part of the master plan. 

Okay I had to let it perculate. That's the way I work; I get idea and then have to let it simmer in my brain until the light bulb clicks on. This time when it turned on I saw Plan B. What was that plan, you ask? Why it was to free form stitch the message. I have some nice heavy blue thread and I've done that technique successfully before. So here's the final label. Can't wait to put it on the finished product!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment