Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sewing on a Plane

Sewing on a plane. Good idea or bad idea? Well, I thought I'd give it a try and see how it went. We were flying to Western Canada so I figured I'd have a set amount of uninterrupted time (other than a flight assistant asking me is I'd like something to drink, that is) (wouldn't mind interruptions like that at home, though) so why not try to take advantage of it.

In one of my little cosmetic bags I had my English Paper Piecing project; fabric cut with tiny paper shapes, thread, a couple needles, and thread snippers. First question was; would I make through security? Answer is Yes. No on questioned me about the contents. (I did have a friend once that had her eyebrow tweezers confiscated. We could never figure out why that was...did they think she'd groom someone to death??)

Once we took off and I read the Sky Mall magazine. That lasted about 20 minutes. Then it was time to see if I could get everything out without dropping anything...you see, I was in the middle seat. Voila! It was all out and my lap table was down and in position. I spread everything out with the overhead light on. Which I must say gave pretty darned good light.



Long story short, I only almost stabbed the woman next to me once. Moral of the story is not to work with a really long thread. My habit is to try to use a long thread so that I don't have to rethread the needle as often. However, that means that I pull up and to the right, but there was someone sitting on that side of me. Luckily she was sound asleep so there were no words exchanged or confiscation of my sewing.

Was this a good use of my time? All I'll say is that I sure thought that in 4+ hours I'd get a heck of a lot more done than this. So how long, I wonder will it take me to get the pillow done?

2 comments:

  1. I see you are using the tiny thread catcher I made for CMQG as a challenge thank you gift. Lovin the "Comma" fabric! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use the thread catcher you made and it was AWESOME. It fit in my little bag and I tucked my needles in it too; sure didn't want to lose those on the plane!!

      Delete