Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book Report: Bead Embroidery Stitch Samples

Earlier this year I was wrapping up an art quilt and wanted to add some hand embroidery. I know the basic stitches, but I wanted something new...something with pizzazz.

Have you ever googled "hand embroidery"? Believe it or not, the outcome is pretty dismal. Just the basics, and those I already know.

Next step was to peruse the books that are available (twist my arm!). That's when I happened upon Bead Embroidery Stitch Samples by Yasuko Endo. It mixes embroidery ( #1 on my list) with beading (the pizzazz factor).


It's a great book. The first several pages address different embroidery threads, types of beads etc. as well as marking and tracing a design. This is key for me because it helps me keep my stitches uniform and straight.



The majority of the book contains what I call the "nitty gritty".  Photos of finished stitches on the left hand page and on the right are the actual steps I need to follow to get those great stitches. And it's outlined stitch by stitch.

The Magpie Quilters is having a block exchange to give us the opportunity to show off some of our hand sewing and embellishment skills. I'm sure I'll be referring to this book as I work on my blocks for the swap. Hopefully my blocks with ooze with pizzazz!

1 comment: